iPad Translation app opens up travel in Russia

In St. Petersburg, Russia, I used an iPad app to go shopping (July 17'13). My Language Pro (CAN$5.59 after taxes from iTunes) can translate text in 59 languages including Russian and English. The app, however, requires access to Wi-Fi or a data connection.

One of the young Russians from Moscow in our delegation had a smart phone with service in St. Petersburg. She offered me the use of a mobile hot spot through her smart phone. Thus, I was able to access my translator in the shopping mall.

My recent experience in going through many passport control and security procedures persuaded me to look for a travel wallet. So, I went to the second floor to look for travel wallets. A small shop looked like it might have what I needed. But I could not find travel wallets.

Being persistent I approached the sales clerk and simply typed my question in English into the app, "Do you have travel wallets?" This translation appeared in Russian text, "У вас есть путешествия кошельки?" I handed my iPad to the clerk. She read it then promptly went to a display for travel wallets. This is what I bought, a Travel Blue security neck wallet:


Neck wallet can be hidden under my shirt


We never said a word of English during the transaction! I did not say anything in Russian. The smart phone remained in connection with me on the second floor of the shopping mall while the phone was in a store on the first floor! It was then the power of the the app became real to me. It was the key to get me un-stuck anywhere in Russia as long as I had access to Wi-Fi or a data connection.

Comments

  1. Just hope that the app isn't like Google Translate and that it uses the correct terms and phrases! Great find though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Road trip on Tanzania's TanRoad A7

Drastic down grade of social well being in Forest communities of the Republic of Karelia (RK), Russia

My Safari to see the earliest human art of East Africa!